• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Something I was musing on regarding the plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaEv

Reaction score
Something I was musing on regarding the plot.

In See the future the ruler looks like your character and Peter M has confirmed that the Fable 3 chartacter is the son/daughter of your character.

Now Fable 2 tells us the character of the next game is the child of the ruler and Fable 3 through Peter M has told us the ruler of Albion that comes directly before your Fable 3 character rises is a tyrant.

So there are three theories I have from this

1. Massive gaping plot hole
2. In the fifty years gone past your (Fable 2) character has indeed risen to power but for whatever reason (which will be explained in the course of the game has become a tyrant
3. The ruler in the vision shown to you in the spire is in fact your Fable 3 character and the baby is the grandchild, though that theory is a tad bit flawed to say the least.

or I could be missing something.

Fabled Ravrn

Reaction score
Re: Something I was musing on regarding the plot.

I'm thinking "See The Future" is a pretty good guess for "seeing the future" (Fable III), but I'm not sure you are a full adult. Dunno yet, but I'm thinking it starts in the Fable 2 timeline, then boosts ahead a few years.

Either way, I think I agree, but what's this about some glimpse in the Spire?

GaEv

Reaction score

In the second Fable 2 DLC (called "See the future") you are brought back to the Spire where Theresa shows you a vision of the future.

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score

I like to believe that the tyrant ruler overthrew and possibly assassinated your Fable II hero, and that you're trying to reclaim your birthright throughout the first half of the game.

Ryu_the_fox

Reaction score

it would be wrong to have a pure good character to have become a tyrant all of sudden.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Ryu_the_fox;335533 said:
it would be wrong to have a pure good character to have become a tyrant all of sudden.

Not neccesarily. It's fairly common in fiction to have tyrants who think their tyranny is for the best, plus enlightened despots who rule with absolute power but try to do the best for their people.

Depending on whether you agree with the way said tyrant or despot does things, what they do, and their motivations, you can see them as positive or negative.

I like TVtropes.org, so here's an example from there. Knight Templar, for a tyrant who rules cruelly in the name of the law or good, and for a tyrant who is nevertheless a good ruler of his nation, Lord Vetinari.

And yes, I do admit that there is a problem with the Lord Vetinari example, since no one in their right mind would overthrow him, but hopefully you get the idea.

You could also, for a historical example, look at the Greek origins of the term "tyrant" itself. Usually populist leaders raised up in times of crises who had an unfortunate tendency to become fairly oppressive and cling to power after whatever crises they were raised to deal with had passed. Or, even, Julius Caesar. Or Augustus.

Lots of real-world examples are less clearly "good," but still fit the pattern of being raised up and then seizing personal powers, even in the present day.

Cain

Reaction score

has anybody thought that rather than your fable 3 character being born 50 years after the fable 2, they are born about 25 years after it and are in their 20s when the game starts.

R

Razorback

Every tyrant who ever lived thought that he was doing the right thing. Hitler thought he was saving Europe. All the religious despots who commited torture and genocide thought they were doing right by God. Even the most selfish ****wipe kings who never did anything for anyone but themselves thought they were right to do so, since they were born into their position and, therefore, appointed to it by God. And a lot of people are just corrupted without realising it - the road to Hell being paved with good intentions, and all that.

As for the "plot hole" - while it would be interesting to have your Fable II character turn bad, I suspect it'll be a case of the father being overthrown, and the son rising up to fight the usurper. Have none of you ever read Hamlet?

GaEv

Reaction score

Razorback;335725 said:
Every tyrant who ever lived thought that he was doing the right thing. Hitler thought he was saving Europe. All the religious despots who commited torture and genocide thought they were doing right by God. Even the most selfish ****wipe kings who never did anything for anyone but themselves thought they were right to do so, since they were born into their position and, therefore, appointed to it by God. And a lot of people are just corrupted without realising it - the road to Hell being paved with good intentions, and all that.

As for the "plot hole" - while it would be interesting to have your Fable II character turn bad, I suspect it'll be a case of the father being overthrown, and the son rising up to fight the usurper. Have none of you ever read Hamlet?

the hamlet theory is one that came to me after I posted this. And it makes the most sense.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

The White Knight;335694 said:
has anybody thought that rather than your fable 3 character being born 50 years after the fable 2, they are born about 25 years after it and are in their 20s when the game starts.

People have inched that way a time or two, but I don't like it. I LIKE being a kid for awhile. Makes me feel more connected to the people I meet then, and when I'm a teenager and so on.

Cain

Reaction score

Walker;335802 said:
People have inched that way a time or two, but I don't like it. I LIKE being a kid for awhile. Makes me feel more connected to the people I meet then, and when I'm a teenager and so on.

Well I mean you begin as child and then like other fables it skips to being a teen. It dosen't make sense that the hero is born 50 years after fable II.

GaEv

Reaction score

The White Knight;336043 said:
Well I mean you begin as child and then like other fables it skips to being a teen. It dosen't make sense that the hero is born 50 years after fable II.

It could be that it is 50 years after the beginning or middle of Fable 2. Or that the adult section of Fable 3 is 50 years after Fable 2 and there is still a child section only it is just 30 years later or something.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

The White Knight;336043 said:

Why not? They never specify an age. Sure, you get gray and a bit wrinkly, but my dad was gray by the time he was forty, at the latest. Okay, maybe 45.

It's not THAT unrealistic that your hero still be virile/nubile fifty years on when you consider that they're big bad heroes, and probably distantly related to at least one immortal.

Or, hell, Lionhead likes killing off families. You could be an adopted orphan.

GaEv;336065 said:
It could be that it is 50 years after the beginning or middle of Fable 2. Or that the adult section of Fable 3 is 50 years after Fable 2 and there is still a child section only it is just 30 years later or something.

That makes very little sense. Ordinarily, when people say "fifty years after" they don't mean "fifty years after the beginning." Or anything else. THey mean "fifty years after the end."

GaEv

Reaction score

True, I am stretching it a bit.

From thinking of the timeline I think chronologically your character would have to be in their thirties at the end of Fable 2 as it stands. Giving a rough guess on Fable 3 starting the game at age ten so the Fable 2 character would need to be in his seventies at the time of conception.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

GaEv;336231 said:
True, I am stretching it a bit.

From thinking of the timeline I think chronologically your character would have to be in their thirties at the end of Fable 2 as it stands. Giving a rough guess on Fable 3 starting the game at age ten so the Fable 2 character would need to be in his seventies at the time of conception.

Yeah, and who says that's too far-fetched for a could-plausibly-be-immortal Hero? Doesn't Theresa look like she could get knocked up? And she's over 500 years old.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

I would hate for my Fable 2 character to die of old age, I hope this tyrant doesn't assassinate my Fable 2 character in his sleep of something like that - it would be lame, imo.

I remember Peter saying in an interview about Fable III that there was a phrase he has very fascinated about:

"Absolute power corrupts"

I am liking the idea of my Fable II character being corrupted by power more and more..
Then you go:
"Damn you King! you killed my father!"
"Fool... I AM your Father!"
"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

X

Xeon

GaEv;335453 said:
In See the future the ruler looks like your character and Peter M has confirmed that the Fable 3 chartacter is the son/daughter of your character.

Now Fable 2 tells us the character of the next game is the child of the ruler and Fable 3 through Peter M has told us the ruler of Albion that comes directly before your Fable 3 character rises is a tyrant.

So there are three theories I have from this

1. Massive gaping plot hole
2. In the fifty years gone past your (Fable 2) character has indeed risen to power but for whatever reason (which will be explained in the course of the game has become a tyrant
3. The ruler in the vision shown to you in the spire is in fact your Fable 3 character and the baby is the grandchild, though that theory is a tad bit flawed to say the least.

or I could be missing something.

I only have one thing to say to that: Lion King plot

rhett_thom

Lion Heart
Reaction score

Xeon;336445 said:
as long as hobbes don't come out of the forest singing akuna-matata or "Can you feel the love tonight" then I'd go with that

Vero Caerso

Poetic Master
Reaction score

Yes well with what ever its going to be it has to be related to fable 2, the son/daughter of your fable 2 character being the main character, but if they continue to do this through future games then wouldnt it sort of get abit old?

I wont share any of my guesses in the game because yeah.. I dont know just that >.> i know more than i probably should :X

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Xeon;336445 said:

AKA Hamlet plot. Or maybe not. I just remember reading somewheres that the Lion King was inspired by Hamlet. And blatantly ripped off some asian animated movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.