• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Opinions of other Fable fans?

callycap3

The Iron Marquis
Reaction score
Basically, as with most Fable fans, I feel let down and disenchanted with the idea of F: The Journey. So I'm looking for a good RPG alternative. Is the Elder Scrolls series a good place to go? Skyrim looks amazing but I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls games.

One of the things I love about Fable is that while it's an RPG, it isn't too long or boggy or padded with pointless quests. It feels as long as it should be. I'm too impatient to have to play 20 hours before I can get a lightsaber (looking at you, KOTOR), so just wondering if there are any decent RPGs that can be completed without having to lose my social life.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Personally i love the Elder Scrolls series but if you are looking for a game like Fable then this series isnt it. The Elder Scrolls series plays much differently (first person for a start) and you can lose hundreds of hours in those games. You can complete the main quests in 20-30 hours but half the fun is the side quests. You have to level up to get all the good gear but the whole game is open from the start so you can go where you wish and steal/acquire anything you want from most areas of the game from the start.

New game on the way called Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning is looking very Fable like but i dont know how good its going to end up and its a while before its going to be released (Feb 7th 2012) but might be one to keep an eye on in future.

Dragon Age is enjoyed by plenty of RPG fans here too (though i couldnt get into it personally). Is it just fantasy RPG's you are interested in or any kind of RPG?

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
New game on the way called Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning is looking very Fable like but i dont know how good its going to end up and its a while before its going to be released (Feb 7th 2012) but might be one to keep an eye on in future.

Indeed, if you really want a new Fable fix that won't be crap. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is definitely the way to go it seems.

@callycap3: You can see the game in action in my thread here.

http://projectego.net/forums/thread...inute-and-take-a-look-at-this-new-game.29072/

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
OblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivionOblivion...just saying.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Yes. Yes you are.

But we love you anyway <3

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
There is no progression! The enemies level up with you! It is so... painfully...bad design! Argh!

/facedesk.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Even the utter screw-ups I keep encountering when I play is not enough to put me off...I do like this one glitch on my current save which makes all the guards fight each other - even the horses join in.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Skooma in the drinking water, no doubt.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
There is no progression! The enemies level up with you! It is so... painfully...bad design! Argh!

/facedesk.

Although the enemy scaling was a pain i loved the game as the quests were fun, nice variety in the side quests, loads to do and the attention to detail was superb.

callycap3

The Iron Marquis
Reaction score
Go backwards in time and play the original Xbox game Bard's Tale. Sarcastic Cary Elwes, hilarious songs and a decently enjoyable storyline... what's not to love? ^_^
looked into it, sounds awesome and don't need to dust of my Delorian because I can get it off Steam :D

Fabled Ravrn

Reaction score
Indeed, if you really want a new Fable fix that won't be crap. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is definitely the way to go it seems.

@callycap3: You can see the game in action in my thread here.

http://projectego.net/forums/thread...inute-and-take-a-look-at-this-new-game.29072/

Reckoning isn't Fable, it just has similar graphics to the more recent installments. If you can compare that game to anything, it'd be close to an MMO, and, oddly, and action game.

Thankfully it comes out right before my birthday (there'll be space for reviews).

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Reckoning isn't Fable, it just has similar graphics to the more recent installments. If you can compare that game to anything, it'd be close to an MMO, and, oddly, and action game.

Thankfully it comes out right before my birthday (there'll be space for reviews).

What? I don't see how this game is anything like an MMO. It's a 3rd-Person, single-player, adventure role-playing game... which is also what Fable is. I never claimed Reckoning to be Fable, but it does fall into the same category of it and carries many similarities, thus making it easy to recommend.

The gameplay is clearly reminiscent of Fable with elements of Oblivion, Dragon Age, and God of War. Don't know how you came to the conclusion you did.

Fabled Ravrn

Reaction score
What? I don't see how this game is anything like an MMO. It's a 3rd-Person, single-player, adventure role-playing game... which is also what Fable is. I never claimed Reckoning to be Fable, but it does fall into the same category of it and carries many similarities, thus making it easy to recommend.

38 Studios, the developer, are focused more on MMORPGs. Before 38 Studios acquired Big Huge Games, they were planning on developing an MMO, but afterwards decided a single-player game would be a better start. Plus, there's also talk of another project (after Reckoning, obviously) which is going to be an MMO.

Plus, 3rd-Person, Single-Player, Adventure RPG describes quite a few games, not to mention that Lionhead is also throwing in Life-Simulation (which really applies to Fable 3).

http://kotaku.com/5806660/kingdoms-...ed-with-the-spirit-of-tekken-and-call-of-duty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSwkAkVC9B8

The gameplay is clearly reminiscent of Fable with elements of Oblivion, Dragon Age, and God of War. Don't know how you came to the conclusion you did.

What gameplay is reminiscent of Fable?

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
38 Studios, the developer, are focused more on MMORPGs. Before 38 Studios acquired Big Huge Games, they were planning on developing an MMO, but afterwards decided a single-player game would be a better start. Plus, there's also talk of another project (after Reckoning, obviously) which is going to be an MMO.

Plus, 3rd-Person, Single-Player, Adventure RPG describes quite a few games, not to mention that Lionhead is also throwing in Life-Simulation (which really applies to Fable 3).

I'd hardly call Fable 3 a life-simulator (those little mini-games don't cut it), when it can start comparing to the likes of The Sims then I'll agree. Fable 3 feels more like an Action-Adventure title with RPG elements than anything else.

I still don't see them being MMO developers has much to do with the game being comparable to an MMO title, that's like saying Fable is comparable to an RTS game just because Lionhead is formerly famed for such genre before the creation of Fable.

Besides, 38 Studios are the developers of the game, they didn't design it.

Fabled Rvrn said:
What gameplay is reminiscent of Fable?

The combat of course, but it also appears to have taken the flashy style of God of War along with the grand way of killing various enemies. The ability to string together attacks with magic and being able to defend yourself in a 360-degree fashion. Not to mention you'll be able to dual wield weapons (not sure if you can mix a sword with a gun, haven't looked into it for awhile). The art style doesn't need mentioning as that is pretty obvious, other than that its similarities end there. Unless you'd prefer to count the other elements it has that are standard with just about all RPGs

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
Fable doesn't know what it is really. It wants too many things all at once, and can't deliver with any of them. Fable declined as the series progressed. Granted they include some new and nifty things, but everything seems to feel the same as it goes, and I want it polished as it goes.

that's why it's so hard to find any games like it, because it's in it's own right different.. Fable is not a life simulator, because if my life was like fable, IE: the job system. I'd shoot myself in the head.

and Tsuyu, I hate Oblivion. :D

Fabled Ravrn

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_WEkRTSzqQ

That should close things up on Reckoning.

EDIT: Fable might've been able to go somewhere if the team actual got an outside opinion on their work (which I don't think they've done; if they have, they certainly pay no attention to it).