• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Creating Project Ego

TheChickenMan

Reaction score
So my name is Patrick Bennett and a few years ago I heard about a game called Project Ego. I was really inspired by Peter Molyneux's passion to create the perfect rpg experience. After so many things were cut I wondered if Project Ego could be created the way Peter first envisioned it. So I decided to stop wondering and try and create this game myself. I am basically trying to create Project Ego. I would love feedback and suggestions from the Fable community. Questions are very welcome. You can find info about the game here......

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1929816480/hero-may-die

Before you smack me with a wet chicken just check it out. You might like :)

Patrick

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
My main put-off is the name. I'm aware that it's a play on Devil May Cry, but for that very reason, it feels a little cheap and makes little sense to me. The two games are of two completely different genres. It bugs me, but that's just my opinion.

Also, despite you planning for it to be free-to-play are you allowed to so heavily plagiarise another game?

All that said, it seems interesting.

TheChickenMan

Reaction score
Hi Queen thanks for your interest! The name was meant as a play on the phrase devil may care not the game devil may cry. Devil may care means heedless of caution and reckless. In the game you can die at any point and you cannot come back after you die. Each hero will die at some point so death is inevitable. The name seemed to fit since life and death are such a big theme in the game.​
That being said the game is more about the concept than the name. We're trying to create the rpg that Peter Molyneux wanted to create with Project Ego. When I heard Peter talking about this game I didn't think they could do it the way he imagined it but I did think it might be possible. I thought about a real and practical way that Project Ego could actually be made and that's how this project was born.​

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Hi Queen thanks for your interest! The name was meant as a play on the phrase devil may care not the game devil may cry. Devil may care means heedless of caution and reckless. In the game you can die at any point and you cannot come back after you die. Each hero will die at some point so death is inevitable. The name seemed to fit since life and death are such a big theme in the game.

I had thought about that. But assumed it was a nod to the game rather than the phrase or the Bond book because of the rhyming. Still, it bugs me. Gimmicky names are a pet-peeve of mine, but again, that's just my opinion. I doubt it would bug others the same way it does with me.
That being said the game is more about the concept than the name.

This is true. Like I said, it's a pet-peeve. Things like this can ultimately tarnish a game for me, but then I am ridiculously hard to please.
We're trying to create the rpg that Peter Molyneux wanted to create with Project Ego. When I heard Peter talking about this game I didn't think they could do it the way he imagined it but I did think it might be possible. I thought about a real and practical way that Project Ego could actually be made and that's how this project was born.

I am curious though. Your reason to make this game was to do what Molyneux couldn't, aren't you afraid you might not to make the game up to scratch? Live up to any expectations? Lionhead are 3(or 5 if you count their spin-offs) down and they still haven't realised Molyneux's dream - he's not even with the company anymore. You don't have nearly as many resources as them. I think it's just a lot for people to expect, to pen your game as what Project Ego should have been.

TheChickenMan

Reaction score
Well the great thing about making independent games is that I can create the game exactly how I want. I don't have to make alot of money to keep a publisher happy or keep my studio from shutting down. This is a labor of love. I can create the game I'd actually want to play. I also will listen to peoples ideas and actually put them in the game and give them credit for it if there good ideas. That's why I'm asking for feedback and support so I can create the best rpg experience. I'm just an rpg fan creating a game for rpg fans. I'd like this to be a collaboration with rpg fans.

You don't need alot of money and resources to make a good game. All you need is a really great concept, a talented team and a good plan. I have those three things. I thought the basic idea of Project Ego was great but I actually want to take it further than that basic concept. I intend to create a game that's more like an ever changing story where anything can happen rather than a typical rpg with fixed goals and rewards. This will not be a linear rpg at all.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Amazing things can be accomplished with lots of money too, let's be honest. :lol:

But I suppose you're right. I wish you luck with your project, looking forward to see what you can do. :)

TheChickenMan

Reaction score
Thanks for your comment Dark Intellect. I think the major mistake was not realizing how long it would actually take to create Project Ego in a 3d game environment. I am creating this game in a 2d game environment and that's a huge difference. I dunno what happen in the development but I do know at some point a radical change was made. They realized they could not do Project Ego and that's when they decided to create Fable, a more doable game.

It would take years and tons of money to create Project Ego as a 3d game. No publisher is going to give any gaming company that much time and that much money to create a game that might not sell. I am indie so I don't have this problem but I do have other problems. Getting people aware of the game and getting people to get behind it is a big problem.That's why I am trying kickstarter but even if I don't get funded I'll still make the game because I'm not doing it to make money. If you want to create indie games it's really tough. I am paying to fund this game out of my pocket.

I have never met Peter or anyone from Lionhead. The concept of Project Ego is a foundation I am building on. I plan to take the vision alot further than what they planned to do. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress as the project slowly moves forward.

TheChickenMan

Reaction score
The concept is based on what we knew about the game. Peter isn't the first one to actually think of a game like this but they were maybe the first big gaming company to attempt it.

The concept of Project Ego was this.... The world would change according to your actions. You and the npc's would age over time. You would have freedom to go where ever you wanted in the game world at anytime. If you made a physical change to the world it would stay that way. Also the biggest thing is that it would not be a linear rpg. This is the basic concept I was talking about building on.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I just got wind of this, but I see it has been CANCELED?

Now that's a little depressing... May I ask what went wrong?

TheChickenMan

Reaction score
The game hasn't been canceled only the kickstarter campaign. I just wasn't able to generate enough buzz around the kickstarter campaign. I just had to try and see what happened but this won't stop the development of the game. This just means I'll be funding the project with my own money.

We are actually working on the 2d character animations and the gui now. I will post some game content when I have a good bit done. You guys can tell me what you think and give feedback so I can make the game better.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
The game hasn't been canceled only the kickstarter campaign. I just wasn't able to generate enough buzz around the kickstarter campaign. I just had to try and see what happened but this won't stop the development of the game. This just means I'll be funding the project with my own money.

We are actually working on the 2d character animations and the gui now. I will post some game content when I have a good bit done. You guys can tell me what you think and give feedback so I can make the game better.

Oh, phew... Its awful whenever a new game idea gets abandoned in its early stages. I'm a game designer and I see a lot of that happen. I'm very sure you can still have a kickstarter, but you should get some stuff done first, so potential backers will have an idea as to what the end product might look like. The more they see, the more likely their gonna donate. Get a few promo vids out, invade some forums and just promote the heck out of your game. We can provide the feedback, but remember that we're only a small fraction of the gaming population.

Anyhow, good luck. I really do hope this one pulls through. :)

TheChickenMan

Reaction score
Thanks Daniel! I hope I can finish this game by the end of the year. I might try crowd funding again once I have some videos of gameplay to show. I have a ways to go but I can't wait to show you guys what I've been working on.